Simply the World's Easiest Mac 'N' Cheese
Simply the easiest, cheesiest, mac 'n' cheese ever.
Recipe type: Slow Cooker, Gluten Free, Casserole
Serves: 8 - 10
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 12- ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 pound dried gluten free elbow macaroni
- 1 egg
- 3¼ cups rice milk (or half 'n' half or whatever milky liquid you want to use)
- 3+ cups shredded cheddar cheese (or go wild and mix cheeses!)
- Get out your slow cooker and grease the interior of the pot with a couple tablespoons of butter.
- In a small bowl combine all the dry ingredients (except for the pasta) till thoroughly blended. Add a couple tablespoons of the evaporated milk, stirring to combine and making sure there aren't any lumps. Add a couple more tablespoons, stirring and repeating the process until you have a smooth slurry of spices/cornstarch/evaporated milk. Dump this into the slow cooker.
- Using the same bowl, break the egg into the bowl and beat with a fork to break it up. Dump the beaten egg, the milk, the cheese and the dry pasta into the slow cooker. Yes, you read that correctly, Just dump everything into the pot. Gently stir it around until it looks combined. The cheese will want to clump together a bit, but don't worry about it. If you feel like it, sprinkle MORE cheese on top, because CHEESE. Put on the lid, set the slow cooker on low and in three hours you will have a massive quantity of cheesy gooey mac 'n' cheese.
- Obviously, unless you are feeding an army, there will be leftovers. NO PROBLEM. By thorough experimentation, I found that adding a couple tablespoons of half 'n' half on top of a bowl of cold mac 'n' cheese, covering with some wax paper and mircowaving for a couple minutes on High yields superb results. Always happy to make the necessary sacrifices for my art. 😉