I must be a crazy-creative mood today. This dinner started out as mini meatloaves, but after scrounging through the vegetable drawers in the fridge, it morphed into a gingery-chili deliciousness. Check this out.
Ginger and Sweet Chili Sauce Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 carrot, shredded on a fine grater
- ½ sweet onion, chopped
- 1 large stalk celery, finely shopped
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons shopped fresh garlic
- 1½ teaspoons chili flakes
- ¼ cup sweet chili sauce
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients using your hands and mixing well. Form the mixture into meatballs about the size of a golf ball or about 2 inches across.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When you can feel heat radiating off the surface of the pan, add a few tablespoons olive oil and swirl the oil around in the pan. Drop the meatballs into the hot oil and cook until browned on each side. Watch them closely because the sugar from the sweet chili sauce can cause them to burn. Saute gently till they are cooked through.
- You have the option to serve them right now with a little extra sweet chili sauce, or whip up a sweet 'n' sour sauce and pour the whole deal over rice.